My PNSQC Keynote with Agile Timeline

A few days ago, I tweeted that I was looking for nominations for events for an Agile timeline and am extremely grateful for all the responses I received.

The request was for the keynote talk that I just presented at PNSQC. I’ve had several requests for the timeline that resulted, so I figure the easiest (and therefore fastest) way to share the resulting timeline would be to share my slides.

Here they are (pdf, ~1Mb). Enjoy! (As always, comments/questions/critiques welcome.)

6 Responses to My PNSQC Keynote with Agile Timeline

1. Alex Clay October 29, 2009 at 10:46 am #

I’m curious about the “rehearse delivery” element of your slideshow. We practice XP and hold iteration demos at the end of each delivery. Is this what you mean by rehearsing delivery, or are you suggesting we run through our presentation before holding the iteration demo (a practice which, in my experience, isn’t a bad idea)?

Thanks!

2. Markus Gärtner October 29, 2009 at 2:50 pm #

I have some extensions regarding Software Craftsmanship. Actually there have been at least two conferences on the topic, I know about:
    - One in February organized by Jason Gorman
    - The second parallel to Agile 2009 in Chicago (SCNA)

Between the two there has been a large discussion in the movement regarding an own manifesto (http://manifesto.softwarecraftsmanship.org/) and we also agreed on some statements, which could be referred to the Agile principles, but which where not rolled out at all. Doug Bradbury did a very well job there to combine the thoughts of thirteen people into a well-sounding ethics statement.

Unfortunately at the moment there is little momentum left currently in the movement, I think. But as Tom Gilb pointed out at the Agile Testing Days: We need more craft! We need more people who actually know what they’re doing!

Oh, and of course, great write-up there.

3. Eveliina Vuolli November 10, 2009 at 9:42 am #

I am glad to notice that you have added “rehearse delivery” to the key testing practices! At least, I have the experience of forgetting this part of the production. Everything might seem so easy “in house”and then the reality strikes back…

4. Natook November 13, 2009 at 7:31 am #

I’m working on my master’s thesis in the field of software testing and as an intro I wanted to write something about the evolution of testing.
    I found your timeline and it’s very inspiring but I’m wondering why you started in 2004? The agile manifesto was signed in 2001, did nothing happen between 2001 and 2004?

Elisabeth replies: Glad you like the timeline! And you’re right, it’s not complete. Lots happened between 2001 and 2004. But I had last given a talk at PNSQC in 2004 on Agile Testing. So the timeline was never intended to be comprehensive, but was instead a review of significant events since the last time I spoke at that conference on the topic.

5. Franck Depierre November 15, 2009 at 3:34 pm #

Brilliant,

After your great talk in Grenoble, our conversation about mobile testing, now you offer me a accurate time line that I will blog soon.
    I just a remark about the adoption life cycle graph (crossing the chasm). At the first glance, I understood the graph was here for agile testing and told myself: Did we cross the chasm yet?

6. ehendrickson November 23, 2009 at 6:32 pm #

Actually, by rehearse delivery I mean do everything that will be needed to put the software in production. If it’s a site, push it to a live staging server that’s configured the same as the production server. If it’s an app that will ship on CD, make a golden master with an installer. I’ve seen too many teams, even Agile teams, get hung up at the end of a release. They have great production ready code, but they stumble in the actual delivery of the system because they didn’t practice all the steps involved in taking it live.